FEAR

June 30, 2007
12:30 AM

* another entry I couldn't decide which blog to put it on *

Fear can be crippling. This is something I have struggled with for a long time. That might surprise people that have known me a long time. I used to not be that way. I used to not be afraid of anything...ok well maybe a few teachers in school and rollercoasters, but I was generally a no fear kind of person until I had kids. When Anne Michal was born it was like a switch was flip and fear entered my life. I have had other moms say the same thing. I guess there is something about having the responsiblity of caring for a child that changes our perspective on many things and turn us into fearful worrywarts. I think that is natural. Most people have things they fear, but we can take it too far. I can think of times that I have been driving down the street and the fear of an accident has made me start to panic. It takes a prayer adn refocus to shake it off. Seriously, I understand how people get to the point of being afraid to leave the house. I could be there if I let myself. See...you didn't know that about me, huh? I seem so laidback and calm on the surface. ;) Anyway, I had a point in all this....Now that I have had several of my worst fears realized it really isn't any better. Sometimes it is worse. I have moments of panic and irrational fear, but the fact is that we aren't in control and for that I am thankful. I know it is by the grace of God that I don't hover over my children and can give them any space at all. If we really truly believe that God is soveriegn and in control, then what have we to fear. His plan is perfect. That is truth that we have to believe, but that doesn't make it easy.

For many of our family members and friends, their closeness to this situation has caused them to be anxious and fearful. They now know someone personally who has suffered a tragic loss and, for some, this makes it very real to them that they too are not immune from such loss themselves. Yet, worry and fear do not change anything nor do they give us control over situations. Because of this, there is a real need for us to be in prayer for one another. The Scriptures tell us that God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power and of love and of sound mind. This is where walking by faith really comes in. We don't know what is going to happen tomorrow, next month or next year. But God knows and really that should be enough for us.

Now someone please remind me of this daily. :)

No comments: