Words that can't be defined

February 26, 2008
1:30 AM

I was listening to some talks that Nancy Guthrie gave at a woman's retreat at Lagniappe Presbyterian Church this past weekend. I have several of her books, and it is rather soothing to read her books and listen to her and think, "I have said that same thing" or "That is exactly how I feel." One of the things she talked about was how people don't know what to do with "sad" and how to deal with people who are just sad. When she said that, I thought, "Other people, I don't know what to do with my own sadness." I never knew what sad was before. I don't know how many times I have said either aloud or in my head, "I am just so sad...so terribly sad." Yet, it isn't a word I can define. I don't think anyone can. You simply feel it. It has a presence to it. She talks about groaning. I know I have mentioned before recognizing the groans of my children because I have heard the same sound come from myself. It is unique. It can't be defined. It just happens and wells up out of your soul. Anguish: another feeling that cannot be defined along with grief. It has to be experienced to be understood and even then it cannot be adequately defined. I think that is one reason why I find listening to her soothing because she doesn't have to define those words to me and I know she doesn't need them defined to understand.

No comments: