Change of Perspective

December 18, 2007
11:25 PM

I like to think that before Knox's accident I wasn't one to complain or dramatize things, but I am sure I did my fair share. Not really sure where the satisfaction in complaining comes from, but apparently it must be there somewhere. You know those days you have where nothing seems to go right and life just seems insanely crazy; you think you are going to go bonkers because the ceiling is leaking, someone spilled orange juice all over the floor leaving a sticky mess, noone is getting along, and then to top it off someone throws up missing the toilet of course! Naturally those days make us want to just check out of life and go crawl in bed and pretend all is well. Now when those days happen, my perspective is different. I can't complain or rant and rave. I don't feel like I need to tell anyone how horrible my day is; I don't think I need to move to Australia. Why? Because none of those things are that bad. It is life. Normal, everyday life. Normal, everday life to be thankful for. If I find myself starting to fall in that trap to complain(like today ;) ) then I just give myself a kick in the rear and seriously, it doesn't take much to remember what a truly bad day is like. I used to say when life was routine and nothing seemed to be going on that I liked it that way. Routine and unchanging can be good, and I am including when routine and unchanging involves days like the one I mentioned above. I've never understood why people seem to like to brag about what a crazy day they have had or how often they are sick or how little sleep they get because again why do we seem to get satisfaction in claiming the award for the craziest day or the poorest health or just thinking everything is a crisis. There are days I feel like I won a contest I never entered so if you hear me heading down the complaining or dramatizing road just tell me to turn around and then kick me in the rear. I promise I will thank you.

No comments: