Knox's Birth

October 26, 2007
11:55 PM

I thought I had posted about the day I had Knox, but after searching previous posts I realized I had just talked about having sonic that day and how it wasn't a good idea, so here is the birth story for those of you who like a good birth story. Everyone else can skip it. ;)

It was a Thursday. I had been to the Dr on Tues and was 2 cm. Because I tend to have sort of gradual labors that end up in quick births,. he thought it was a good idea for me to come back Thursday. So Thursday I go in around 1:30 I think. I know it was after lunch since I had that unforgettable sonic meal. Now I am 4. He says that he thinks I might be in labor. I tell him I don't think so as I really hadn't felt any contractions that day, but that I had been really busy all day running around...(like going to sonic). He asks me if I want to go get hooked up to the monitors and just see. I agree because I am thinking it would be nice to have a baby that day. :) So we head to the Med and get in a room and I tell the nurses as I am getting gowned and hooked up that I feel kind of ridiculous because I am sure I am not in labor. They(there were two...one was Wendy and the other I don't remember) said they hoped I was in labor because they were bored and wanted a baby. So they hook me up and sure enough I am having contractions and they decide they are strong enough for me to stay. REALLY???? Ok. So we make the phone calls to have the kids taken care of and my hospital bag that I actually had already packed and a camera brought to the hospital. I think that all came around 4:30 or so. Anyway, this was the first time I had not been induced and I have to say it was rather nice. I dont' think I even hurt until around 9 cm or so and trasition was even pretty breezy. I am so glad I went in that day because I don't know when I would have figured out I was in labor. Jon may have had to try out his delivery skills. My nurses were great. They chatted with me and had me sitting in all kinds of weird positions to try to keep me progressing. These was a very nice change of pace from, "Please lay on your side" Of course that sonic did a number on me and I don't know how many times they asked me if I was going to throw up. They kept telling me throwing up is a good thing and can progress labor. Throwing up is never a good thing in my book!!!! Anyway, finally I had just a lip left that wouldn't go away and so they gave me a bit of pitocin and that quickly did the trick. The smart dr was hanging out across the hall so as soon as they went and got him he was in the room and Knox was born. The nurses had hung out after shift change to see me through the birth which was nice and as they left the one (not Wendy) popped her head in the door and told me I was the best patient she had ever had....we all have to have skills right??? Then the Wendy nurse told me that the other nurse hadn't wanted me to have a natural birth because she had not had good experiences with moms doing that but Wendy had told her to give me a chance it could be great so I gave her a good experience. See you never know when you'll do a good deed...heehee. The first people to see Knox was Pam the church secretary and her husband. I wish I could show you some pics but unfortunately my digital camera had broken and the roll of film from his birth and first day or two home got ruined. So you will just have to trust me that he was a doll.

The pain in childbirth with Knox was not his arrival but his departure. We miss you big guy!!!

No comments: