Fear and the Heidelberg catechism #1 revisited

October 16, 2007
11:12 PM

Currently Reading
Dutch Color
By Douglas Jones

While on vacation I read the book above; it was a rather enjoyable book. My favorite books are books that just tell a good story..usually fiction but not so unrealistic that the events in the book couldn't really happen. Anyway, not to get to sidetracked, the book was about a young dutch girl who was an artist in the making. Her father had gone away on a trip and should have returned months ago yet they hadn't seen or heard from him. The girl had to deal with a lot of uncertainty in her life and the fear that her father might not return. One of the things she did to calm her fears was to recite the Heidelberg Catechism #1:
1. Q. What is your only comfort in life and death?

A.  That I am not my own,1 but belong with body and soul, both in life and in death,2 to my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ.3 He has fully paid for all my sins with His precious blood,4 and has set me free from all the power of the devil.5 He also preserves me in such a way6 that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head;7 indeed, all things must work together for my salvation.8 Therefore, by His Holy Spirit He also assures me of eternal life9 and makes me heartily willing and ready from now on to live for Him.10
It was a rather soothing read and a good reminder as I read through the book, but I won't give away the ending just in case you pick it up!!!

No comments: