Things people say

April 27, 2008
5:42 PM

From 1 yr ago:

Forgive me. I've gotta say it even if I know God knows best

Knox should not be dead.

It's just wrong.

That baby hould be home in his mama's arms.

Rachel should not be making memory blogs about that child she should be making memories WITH him.


I hate sin. I really hate it.
_________________



I think the reason death is the biggest challenge to our faith is because that is when we have the most awful things before our eyes. What we see is the body of the person being put in a box and lowered into the ground, there to dissolve away in a very unpleasant manner. The only way we KNOW a person is through their body, and so to see that body treated as a thing is something that is very difficult for us. This is when we most have to walk by faith and NOT by sight, because what we SEE is nothing but despair. It's bad enough that the person is just gone, not there anymore in your life, but all this seems like an added indignity. It would have been much easier if the person just disappeared and what remained was a nice note from God reminding you that the separation is only temporary. But I guess we are forced to go through the horrific situation of dealing with the bodies both to see the wages of sin and also give us the opportunity to have faith that God who created life will one day restore it.




It IS wrong.

It is horrific and grotesque to put a baby's body in the ground.

It is agonizing to see a mother longing for her child.

It is heartbreaking to hear a father speak of the dreams he had for his son that were ripped away.

It is excruciating to see a child's mournful reaction to seeing their beloved brother in a casket.

It is awful to see your husband carry the casket of his friend's baby son to his grave.

Sin is at work in the world, in our lives, and in our hearts. It tempts us to deny the goodness and faithfulness of God. It tempts us to despair. It tempts us to quail before death and its horror. But death does not have the victory, and the King reigns.

I want to encourage you with what I've been preaching to myself. It's easy to trust God in the light. I am holding fast with all my might to what I know is true, trusting that God is good even when evidence screams to the contrary. I'm looking to the cross, and trying to fix my eyes on the mingling there of love and death and suffering. I am clinging to God's promise and cleaving to his mercy. Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.

No comments: