Letters

April, 2008
7:39 PM

I know I mentioned early on how overwhelmed(in a good way) we were with the outpouring of cards and letters we received. I have a chest at the foot our bed that holds momentos not only of Knox but for the other kids as well. One of the things in the chest is a basket that is overflowing with the mail we received. We have cards, letters, and pictures from family, church family, friends, children, and people we have never met. Some people and churches sent numerous cards. One church in MA sent us a "we are praying for you card" consistently all summer. All these were very meaningful to us; it is hard to feel as though God has abandoned you when someone is telling you almost every day that they are praying for you and offering scripture for you to read or a child you have never met draws you a picture to cheer you up! Different people said different things from a simple "I am praying for you" to "I don't know what to say" to quoting scripture and so on. I was going through the chest the other day and I pulled out an especially meaningful letter and I want to share it with you minus the namesbecasue I don't like to use people's names online without knowing it is OK.

Dear Jon and Rachel,
Saturday morning April the 14th, the phone rang and D was inviting me to a prayer meeting for Knox Anderson,at the church for 11:00 AM.
I was one of the first to arrive and sat on the front row of the middle section. L.explained what he knew of the situation and started crying, J gave us a few more insights and he started crying. Then we all broke in small circles to pray. As I stood to get in place, Il ooked behind me and noticed the middle section was full of people.We were all praying and crying. The mood was very solemn.We now wait for email from the church to bring us updates on Knox's condition.As Christians we know that life has no opposite. Psalm62:8 "Trus tin Him at all times,people, pour out your heart before Him;God is a refuge for us."
We enfold you in His presence,

This letter meant a lot to me because I knew there had been a prayer meeting for Knox there as well as some other churches,but to have it documented for me was a gift as though I could hear and feel those prayers after the fact. It was as though a bit of my own history had been filled in and prayers realized in a tangible way for me and for that I am thankful.

No comments: