When are you real?

April 19, 2008
1:04 AM

In our community group/small group we are studying 2 Corinthians. A few weeks ago our lesson was based on 2Corinthians 4:1-5:10. I hadn't read it ahead of time (bad me) and so I was caught by surprise by the question "When is a time you have been totally real?" I didn't answer out loud, but immediately in my head I told myself, "April 13, 2007 when Knox had his accident." There was no hiding behind anything, no thinking about how to be or what to say but just response. Praying, begging, pleading, crying out to God to spare my son. Anguish. Agony.Dread. Not caring what anyone thought. What they did. What they said. Nothing mattered other than the condition Knox was in and the welfare of my family.Then there was 10 days of being. Of knowing I was going home without him. Hoping and Praying I was wrong, but feeling that God was telling me Knox was going to be with Him. I rubbed and patted him and stroked his hair. I slept curled up by his side treasuring that time.I was raw and it was all so very very real.I felt naked and vulnerable like I felt with every fiber of my being. I know there are things I probably don't remember, but what I do remember is in such vivid complete detail that I can watch it in my mind like a movie. What people looked like. What they said. I how I felt. I don't have to wonder what it feels to be real; I only have to remember and I am not that many steps away.


2 Corinthians 5:1

5:1 For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, 3 if indeed by putting it on [1] we may not be found naked. 4 For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

6 So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9 So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.

A friend has been good to remind me from time to time,that Knox is a finished work. He has been spared much in this life...hardship, affliction, the burden of sin. He has a heavenly home and his joy is complete.


No comments: